by Rachel Chiaverelli and Justin Zabinski
As every magazine cover in the supermarket line reminds us, it’s almost that time of the year—BEACH SEASON! Rather than focusing on losing weight and toning up to transiently express some sort of seasonal variation of a six-pack for the beach (pun intended), let’s focus on making a long-term change to look good and feel great this summer and beyond!
This fast-paced, high-energy workout will challenge you, but produce some amazing results. Tunes courtesy of Friedman’s resident DJ, Dr. Jaz, will keep you PUMPED and moving! The goal here is to get your heart rate and fists pumping with some full-body moves for 30 seconds (or a 30-count if you don’t have a timer on hand) and to alternate with muscle building workouts during your recovery period while your heart rate AND the beat drops for 30 seconds!
Before and after you attempt this workout, make sure to stretch every major muscle group for at least 30 seconds—i.e. calves, quads, hamstrings, obliques, biceps, triceps, chest, and back.
The Chiv Workout
- BURPEES (Sequence: Jump while fully extending your arms above your head à 1 Push-up à Bring feet to chest after push-up à Repeat)
- Squats with shoulder press (Place large workout ball on a wall to assist if needed)
- Jumping Jacks
- Pushup with side plank extension (Reach towards the ceiling; interchange sides from left to right)
- Mountain climbers
- Step back lunge with bicep curl (Both arms at the same time)
- Plank jacks
- STAY IN PLANK and plank twist (Left knee to tap right elbow; alternate)
Do each exercise in the sequence for 30 seconds. Repeat this three times, resting for one minute in between each set. For more of a challenge, increase the time periods for each exercise to 45 seconds or a minute!
Dr. Jaz’s Playlist
- Lose Control – Missy Elliott
- Calling (Lose My Mind) – Sebastian Ingrosso
- Freak – Steve Aoki
- Miami 82 – Avicii/Syn Cole
- Hands Up – Vinai
- Language – Porter Robinson
- Hey Now (Arty Remix) – London Grammar
- Yee – Deorro
- Call On Me – Eric Prydz
- Boy Oh Boy – Diplo
- Follow You – Deniz Koyu
- Bad – David Guetta
- Summer (R3hab and Ummet Ozcan Remix) – Calvin Harris
- Collide (Afrojack Remix) – Afrojack
- In My Mind (Axwell Remix) – Ivan Gough
- Fancy Footwork – Chromeo
Justin Zabinski is a BMN Masters candidate and a personal trainer who enjoys DJing. His main aspiration is to become a leader in developing nutrition and exercise regimens for professional athletes.
Rachel Chiaverelli is a BMN Doctoral candidate who aspires to run her own research examining the connection between nutrition and the prevention of disease. In her free time, Rachel is constantly doing something active, whether it be in the gym or outdoors.